Thursday, December 06, 2007

k1 p1 vs. sc

After my knitting class I've been looking around at the forums and things to get a general idea about the attitude out there about knitting and crochet. It ranges from the very strong: "I HATE crochet." to the very vague, "If you like crossword puzzles or math games, reading and such, knitting is the way to go." Wait, why, what?? Well I like Candyland so ::sticks out tongue::.

It seems everyone has a pretty narrow notion of what either technique produces. All knitting is floaty and easy and there are loads of patterns and all crochet is bulky and structured and old, etc. Not so. I'm not going to argue about which patterns are cooler or more modern because it all comes down to personal taste. Both techniques just feel different, it's a preference. What kind of irks me though is that people who have strong opinions about either technique have experience in only one of them. I know, I know, you tried one pattern five years ago and it was tedious, well hellooooo it's a new skill, it's going to be hard!

I admit, my reaction to knitting is an immediate, "Change? NO!" And I kind of like searching through the internet for crochet patterns, it's like a treasure hunt. I got over it though, I think there are going to be certain things that I am going to want to knit, ::ahem:: legwarmers ::ahem::, and others that I'll want to crochet, hats, blankets, as God is my witness I will get to that hexagon blanket!

To the point: I'm trying to keep an open mind! Trying different stitches with different yarns is half the fun. And I get automatic bragging rights for being able to do either technique. Oooo look at meeeee, I'm so CRAFTY. I made a hat by knitting AND crocheting wooooo! Look how clever I am!

Onto trying new things with a new attitude. Because it's hella cold in my office dang it. And I want pretty leg warmers, edged in lace. Because I can. Just like how I wear my wedding veil blusher around while ironing: because I CAN.

No comments: