Thursday, March 02, 2006

It's a Revolution Baby!

Unfortunately, yesterday was my mom's birthday and we went out to dinner. I missed my class ::sob::. No amount of mushroom risotto will ever replace it. But it can still try. So instead of talking about ballet, this time I thought I'd talk about another dance craze (yes ballet is a craze in some parts of the world... like Russia). Although I'm a little late jumping on the bandwagon I'm still pretty sure that people of my generation and older have no idea of the compelling power and hypnotic rhythm involved in..... dum dum DUUUUMMMM!!!! DANCE DANCE REVOLUTION!!! ::cue background bass beat::: If I could find, and knew how to insert, Bodyrockers "I Like the Way" I would do so right ................................................................

here

What is DANCE DANCE REVOLUTION you ask? We-ell, it is a video game. Remember those pads that you got for the first Nintendo so you could play that Olympics game? And when you ran, your little guy ran? It's the same kind of pad, except with arrows on it. You choose a song, and a level (beginner, light, standard, etc.), the song plays and arrows scroll on the screen showing you what arrow to hit with your foot. There's also vertigo-inducing graphics and a scary warning at the beginning insisting to leave the lights on during play and to be careful not to disturb your neighbors (yes for reals).

When did the obsession begin? I blame Heather, my friend Joanie's friend. (Did you catch that?) Who brought her playstation, two DDR games and two pads down from MSU (I'm cutting out some details here, but you get the drift). I started on 'beginner.' It seemed like I had a knack for the beat. Dirty Vegas playing in the background, my little anime girl who looks like she's in a g-string but it's actually a g-rated pair of pants with a belt, and me in my polka dot pajamas jumping like a fool and throwing up my hands in weird motions. By the end of the night, I had moved onto 'light.' And Nicole's DDR obsession was born.

Fast forward to four days later, my DANCE DANCE REVOLUTION EXTREME game arrived in the mail (as opposed to DANCE DANCE REVOLUTIONMAX or DANCE DANCE REVOLUTIONMAX 2) along with two dance pads. I rushed over to Joe's and stole his PS2, which he let me take only because his two roommates have theirs and he wanted to play DDR with me.

Scene for the past week: Nicole's apartment. Carpet rolled back in the living room. Dance pad stuck to the floor. Cats curiously memorized by the blinking lights of the TV and perhaps the infectious beats? Nicole dressed in whatever old pit-stained t-shirt she can find, pants optional, hair pulled back in a pony tail, jumping LEFT RIGHT BACK FRONT, LEFTRIGHT, BACKFRONT, BACKRIGHT, HOLD!

You laugh now, but you just wait until the beat gets ahold of your body and you can't stop!!

dum DUM
dum DUM
dum dum dum dum dum...
There are so many things I like about you
I just don't' know where to begin
Uhhhh ok well
I like the way you look at me with those beautiful eyes
I like the way you act all surprised
I like the way you sing along
I like the way you aaaalways get it wrong
I like the way you clap your hands ::Nicole claps::
I like the way you looooooove to dance ok now this is getting long
I like the way you put your hands up in the air it's almost done I promise
I like the way you shake your hair haha Joanie, who does that remind you of?
I like the way you like to touch ok what does that even mean?
I like the way you stare so much usually when I stare people protest
But most of all
Yah most of all
I LIKE THE WAY YOU MOOOOOVE!

No comments: